Justice responses to COVID-19 around the world
Justice systems around the world are being affected by the COVID-19 outbreak and they are all developing their responses to it. At the Centre for Justice Innovation, we are collating public information on these responses in the following fields: criminal courts; community supervision of adult offenders and bail supervision; prisoner release. We hope to add to these fields of inquiry over time.
Each week, we will be updating the attached spreadsheet to give readers the latest information which we have been able to assemble from our contacts in other jurisdictions.
We are aware that other organisations are also highlighting international justice responses to COV-19:
- Fair Trials are detailing how fair trial rights are being affected:
- Remote Courts Worldwide is a website designed to help the global community of justice workers - judges, lawyers, court officials, litigants, court technologists - to share their experiences of 'remote' alternatives to traditional court hearings:
- World Prison Brief are compiling and updating a list of news articles from around the world on COVID-19 and prisons.
- Confederation of European Probation is publishing information, measures and protocols on how probation services all over Europe are dealing with the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Prison Policy Initiative is tracking how states and local governments in America are taking meaningful steps to protect people behind bars (and the general public) from Covid-19.
- The Nuffield Family Justice Observatory have drawn together information on the use of remote hearings in court systems around the world
Get in touch
As this picture is evolving rapidly, please get in touch with us if you have new data, or if our data is out of date or inaccurate, or if you would like to be added to our list of other organisations collating justice responses.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and put ‘Justice responses to COVID-19’ in your email header.
Follow @CJInnovation on Twitter to stay up to date with the tracker, as it traces the global response to the crisis.
Sign up to our mailing list to receive regular updates on the Centre’s latest publications and news.
Last updated: 1.07.20